Costume jewellery is the easiest way to add drama to a simple look. The clip-on earrings pictured here have been handed down to me from my Grandmother and Mother, but you can hunt for them at estate sales, vintage stores and flea markets and easily find unique pieces with big personality.
Some of these earrings feel very disco, like the dangling pair with red balls and gold chains while others remind me of Dynasty and Old Society. But not all costume jewellery has to be over the top: the wooden pair are bohemian and understated.
Read more for helpful tips on how to find the best costume jewellery and how to style it:
- Find pieces with character, something that makes a statement and could start a conversation. One of the best pair of clip-on earrings I’ve seen were bright yellow bananas.There’s little use for being conservative when buying costume jewellery.
- If you’re shopping at a vintage boutique, inquire seriously with the seller about the origin of the piece and check the clamps to insure it’s well made. If you’re shopping at a flea market, don’t be turned off if the silver isn’t pristine as it can always be cleaned.
- Large earrings look fabulous with short hair, but if you have long hair consider wearing it up so that you don’t distract from jewellery.
- Also try to keep the rest of your look simple and streamlined. Big costume jewellery with large shoulder pads, ruffled blouses or busy prints makes for a sartorial disaster.
- Edie Sedgwick lashes optional.
Good luck and happy shopping!